Header

Monday 27 April 2015

Betsy!

I finished it… just!!!

I battled through the layers, broke my foot pedal in the process, but made it to the end.  I may need to tidy up a few little bits, as my control via the start/stop button is a little lacking, but hey, you want to see it?!


I made a couple of alterations to the pattern; inserted a thick interfacing to the base to give it a little more structure, and did not attach the long strap slider in the end, because, to be honest, on all the bags I have made with a slider, once on, the slider has never been slid!  Having added thick fusible fleece to the main length for comfort, I attached a couple of non-wadded tabs to the ends of the long strap, to both increase the length, and also allow me to sew though the layers securely.  I didn't make it detachable, I didn't see the point.


My inside side lining panels are pieced, due to running out of the main lining fabric, but I like the look with the accent fabric.  I also didn't topstitch right the way round the ends, because of the bulk, especially at the inside pocket corners, which for me, made it impossible.

I love how it turned out, even if there are areas which, with a more powerful machine, I may have been able to improve upon.  But it is what it is, and I will use it with pride.

Its first over-nighter will be the Brownie Pack Holiday, I'm all about the glamourous lifestyle me!


Some deets for those who like to know...
Betsy Travel Bag - Kristi McDonough Schnitzel & Boo
Made with Cotton & Steel and Melody Miller linen (outer)
Quilting weight lining - C&S and Kona solids
Yarn Dyed Essex linen accent fabric
Pieced and quilted with Aurifil 40wt

15 comments:

  1. It's turned out brilliantly! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, look at you go! This is one stunning over-nighter, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab! I sympathise about the bulk layers. My machine doesn't handle them too well either and there are patterns I avoid because of it. Maybe we will win a juki lottery one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome! I would love to make one but my current machine can't cope with the middle of kaleidoscope blocks so it won't manage this kind of thickness *sigh* Yours is so pretty though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one good looking bag...wanna make me one? **winks**

    ReplyDelete
  6. Applause, applause for you for getting this bag finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, there is a LOT going on with this bag!! Well done! Now all the Brownies are going to want one....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very individual bag to be proud of. I am sure you will be the envy of everyone at Brownie camp with their boring, shop bought bags. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a stunning bag - great great fabric choices, and it looks like a fantastic design :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a gorgeous bag! Hope the Brownie sleepover goes well x

    P.S. You broke your foot pedal?!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx